The allotments are first formally recognised on 1966 OS maps, and previously the site is thought to have been occupied by Ashgate Pottery.
In 1839, the allotment site was originally part of the Brampton Manor estate, being known as Broad Rushes.
Ashgate Allotment Society Limited (the Society) is a not-for-profit co-operative society established under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 (registration number 4032). The Society was formed by, and for, the plot-holders in 2014.
The allotment site (the Site) is owned by Chesterfield Borough Council and leased to the Society.
An elected committee (the Committee) is responsible for the administration of the Society and the day- to-day management of the allotment site. The Committee is elected each year at the Annual General Meeting (the AGM)When a tenancy agreement is signed for an allotment plot, everyone named on the agreement automatically becomes a member of the Society; membership of the Society ends when the tenancy ends, for whatever reason.